Thursday, March 28, 2013

Wash feet. Eat. Drink. Beagle. Woman.

Today, I kept myself very busy at work preparing for my end-of-the-month busy-ness that happens with my job. I put my headphones on, play music, and get going. Helps keep my mind off things. I think the thing I like best about my job is the amount of puzzle-solving I must do in my various processes. All those Dell puzzle books were very useful through the years!

Right now, I'm sitting on my bed in my pjs watching my brackets fall further into the toilet, as my trusty beagle is nearly asleep and glued to my side.

I took advantage, once again, of the campus meal plan; tonight's choice was Brody Square. I had the pasta, which is prepared on the spot. Definitely not the dorm food we had in the late 1970s, early 1980s!

For dessert, I had a homemade chocolate chip cookie; the campus bakery, I believe, is in that building because there are a lot more pastries there than the other locations.

When I was in college, Brody was considered the "largest non-military cafeteria in the world." I don't know about now, but it's still huge. Believe it or not, I was able to find a spot near the window that afforded a little more quiet.

Tonight, I went to the Maundy Thursday service. This night commemorates the Last Supper, which also included foot washing as Christ and his disciples did. My friend Val and I teamed up and took turns washing each other's feet. I was rather clumsy about it, but Val attended to my feet with such tenderness that it caused a catch in my throat and a tear in my eye. A lovely and caring woman.

These people here at All Saints...they take excellent care of each other. I feel cared-for and loved, which is something desperately needed, particularly in the last week or so as the grief and difficulties I encounter seem to be overwhelming. They take ministry seriously! My wonderful All Saints family.

Actually, I continue to be amazed at all the outpouring from many many people. The cards that still come. The genuine offers of help. The prayers. The support. And the amazing patience people have as I muddle through this horrible stuff.

I saw a quote today from Eleanor Roosevelt (actually, she said a lot of cool things!) that really helped me today:
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." We must do that which we think we cannot.
Well stated, Mrs. Roosevelt.

Next week, I am, once again, going to utilize the employee assistance program. While the widowed persons group really helps (and I'll continue to go!), I think I'm overdue to have some one-on-one time with a listening and impartial ear.

Well, I think I'm running out of things to say for now, so I'll close up now. Tomorrow, I play my violin in public for the first time (at least by myself) in public in many months. I'm a little scared about that and hope my hands, arms, and back hold out.

Shalom.

No comments: