Sunday, March 10, 2013

Almost heaven....

A week ago, I travelled south to Myrtle Beach, SC on a last-minute road trip/vacation.

I don't think I'll get into a great deal of detail on the trip; just some impressions and thoughts and a few things I did.

I was a passenger on the trip, which gave me great opportunity to rest and enjoy the view. Well, all of the view except for...Ohio. No offense to you native Ohioans out there, but at least on the route we took, it's boring. Flat lands, not much to see other than that....and we were in Ohio a long time. I know there are much more interesting parts of Ohio (the eastern and southern parts, for sure), but for goodness sakes! I know in past trips I've taken with friends and family through that state, we've always had friendly arguments as to who gets to be the driver and who gets to sleep through that leg of the journey. Only...it's so long, everyone usually gets to drive part of it.

We hit the road at around 5AM, so not long after we were on our way, I snoozed.

Only to be awakened in...Ohio.

But it was for a good reason, actually. You see, friends of mine were also on a road trip--theirs was an  annual alternative spring break trip--the students and chaplain for Canterbury MSU and their  counterparts from University Lutheran Church and their campus ministry. This year, they went to New York City to do some volunteer work. They do great things; several years since Katrina, they have gone down there to help. They've gone to New York at least one other time that I remember, and also one year to Jamaica.

Anyway, we were a little bit into Ohio when one of my traveling companions said, "Hey, isn't that a bus from your church?"

Sure enough, it was. So I rolled down my window and shouted and laughed and ended up calling the chaplain, Sarah. I was afraid she might not recognize me, as we had a rental  (a Dodge Journey) with Illinois license plates on it. Turns out we met up about the place we would be parting ways on the highway--the Episcopalians and Lutherans to I-80, while we continued south for awhile further. What fun! From what I've heard, they had a great time and wonderful experience there in NYC.

Our route took us through Ohio (did I mention Ohio is long?), West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, and finally, South Carolina. When we left Michigan, there was a little bit of snow on the ground but nothing coming out of the sky. It stayed that way, pretty much, through Ohio; however, when we hit West Virginia and the Blue Ridge Mountains, we had a LOT of snow--sometimes bordering on a white-out. Pretty for the passengers, a bit scary for the drivers, I think.

At about 8 PM, we arrived at our hotel in Myrtle Beach. We stayed in The Breakers--our building was called the North Boutique Tower. There are time-shares to be purchased there, but surprisingly, they didn't bother us too much with that stuff. Unfortunately, it was dark by that time, so we really couldn't see much of the Atlantic that night. After some food at a local place called the Tiki Room, we headed back to our hotel for the night.

In the mid-80s, John and his parents lived in Myrtle Beach. Or so I thought. I looked at John's discharge papers from the Air Force, and they actually lived in North Myrtle Beach, which is a few miles north of where we were. I was thinking that if the house his parents owned had been in Myrtle Beach proper, it probably would be gone by now. The beach is, in my opinion, over-developed. Most of the hotels were there back in the mid 1980s. I notice that there are a few on Ocean Blvd that probably were there back then, but the tall newer buildings block the view. It's very difficult, by the way, to see the ocean except in little spirts here and there and then down at the city pier. Otherwise, you have to walk to the beach or stay in one of the hotels. It's really sad, I think. I'm so used to a good deal of the Great Lakes having spacious and lovely views. I should have really realized this, about Myrtle Beach, because John said it was starting to get that way even when he lived there.

We stayed in a suite. Two bedrooms, a dining room, a kitchen, washer, dryer, and three balconies. All of these were "oceanside." And we were not disappointed.

On the first morning (and for me, every morning of my stay), I set the alarm for just before sunrise so that I could see it on the ocean. And it was magnificent! Especially that first morning. I'll try to share some photos when I get my PC set up at home again. I haven't had a chance or desire, really, to set it back up just yet. Days were spent either watching baseball or watching the water at the beach--with a few walks along the shore from time to time.

I'll say it here right now: If I lived on or near a beach, I'd be in better shape than I am now.

Something about walking in the sand, with the sound of the waves and the feel of the wind--even the brisk gale we had for about 24 hours--is so healing. I could have walked forever, if it weren't for my physical limitations. About halfway through my stay, my legs and back started to ache from exercise I really hadn't had in a long time. Yes, I've gone back to the gym, but walking on a treadmill doesn't compare to the beach.

Other times, I sat on the balcony overlooking the beach--each day except for when the winds were so forceful. I even got a bit of a sunburn on my nose and cheeks. Apparently, I didn't put enough lotion in those spots.

Night life is interesting there in Myrtle Beach. Most of the week, it was quite quiet. The Hard Rock Cafe I visited was almost empty, something I'd never seen in a place like that before. Interesting shops--most were in a couple of shopping areas a couple of miles from the beach.

One place near our lodgings was a Ben and Jerry's; I'd never been to one before. John often mentioned the original one he frequented in Burlington, so I was curious--and who can turn down ice cream? So, one afternoon, I walked down to their location and enjoyed some sorbet; returned a couple nights later with my companions to pick up a pizza (the ice cream shop shared space with a local pizzeria); this time, I had a smoothie.

As soon as my adventure began, it seems, it had to end; so, we packed up and headed back by way of the mountains. And soon, I was picking up my beagle. And hugging him. And crying.

You see, I was dealing with a lot of feelings while on the trip; some anger, some joy, but mostly...I missed John. Terribly. I knew that at some point, John had walked that same shore, and it gave me some comfort amid the tears. I even drew a heart with his name within it just at the point where the waves would wash it away at high tide. The heart may have faded, but my heart hasn't. John is still there.

No comments: