Sunday, March 24, 2013

Amour and Palms

Today is Palm Sunday. It is also called Passion Sunday.

We came in with Palms today, waving them as we sang "All glory, laud, and honor...to Thee, Redeemer King...to whom the lips of children make sweet hosannahs ring..." and proceeded gradually to the reading of the Passion according to Luke. And like our preacher today, I, too, always feel uncomfortable being in the "crowd" of the congregation shouting "Crucify him!"

After communion, I went to the healing prayer station and was prayed over. It made me cry, but in a good way, I guess. I was reminded that I am never alone, even though sometimes it feels that way.

And so we proceed into Holy Week.

After church, I decided to check out a local movie theater. They have a film festival series and it was an opportunity for me to see Amour, this year's Oscar winner for best foreign film. I knew it was a serious movie, and I went in there knowing a little bit about the plot. And yet, silly me, I went anyway because I wanted to see this film everyone's been raving about. The two lead actors--Oscar-nominated Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant (just WHY wasn't he nominated?) were mesmerizing in their roles as two retired music teachers in a long and loving marriage. A wonderful movie. One I shouldn't have seen...just yet. WAY too close to home. I won't say more about this movie except to say it's worth seeing...if you haven't had something happen to you recently as I have. I left the theatre crying for a second time today. But...it actually felt healing. I had a love like the one they had in the movie. Yeah, I handled a few things differently, but still..

Today, I did something I thought I wouldn't do for awhile, but I felt it was time. I changed my official Facebook status to "widowed." I felt sad about it but know this: I will always have John in my heart, and because of that, I still feel married. Yeah. I can say it now. I am a widow. Not by choice, certainly. 

And this evening, I've treated myself to the movie version of Jesus Christ Superstar on Netflix. A nice way to bookend the day. Hosanna, Hey Sanna.

One song that always runs through my head on this day every year is Jean-Paul Faure's "The Palms." Lots of wonderful versions of that on YouTube. I suggest the Enrico Caruso and Nelson Eddy versions for nostalgia and the Crystal Cathedral one for big and bombastic. Then listen to Jessye Norman sing "Holy City." Lovely.

Tomorrow begins a new work-week. I'm confident--or maybe at least hopeful--that I will keep this peaceful status for awhile. And if I'm going to have a meltdown, let it be at home in the shower or something. 

Actually laughed at that last line I typed.

Have a blessed Holy Week/Passover!

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Is anyone a widow by choice? I don't think so. Oh, my -- you have had a week haven't you. I would think that would be a big step and I applaud your courage. I hope "Amour" wasn't too hard for you. I haven't been able to go yet.

I'm thinking such thoughts of healing to send your way, this holy week and all weeks.