Saturday, March 23, 2013

Mom

Today is the eleventh anniversary since we said goodbye to Delight Hicks, my mom. And for the most part, I've been able to distract myself. But now, I'm exhausted--something I've felt most of the time these days. In fact, it'll be an early night for me. 

And with love and fond memories and appreciation for all that she was--and she wasn't perfect (who is?), I type this entry. She was a wonderful mom. 

This photo was taken in the late 1940s or early 1950s--sometime before Curt was born and while Dad was in school with the Air Force. It was common to get glamour shots taken to send to your loved one; my aunt had a similar one taken around the same time to send to her husband. 

I've seen the letters they exchanged (mostly Dad's, as that's mostly what was left); two people who had no inkling of what their life would bring...no children yet, talking about mundane things, but yet talking of deep love. Amazing love. And three kids later, I can say that we came here because two people fell in love.

Thank you, Mom, for helping me to be the person I am today. I miss you, and Dad, and Curt. 
And John. 

Take care of him, will you? And don't be too far away from me, either.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Hello, and thanks for stopping by The Marmelade Gypsy. I think your fairy name was one of my favorites!

This post touched me -- spring is the time I lost my mom and there's always a bit of a catch in my throat, even though it has been far longer than you said goodbye to yours. It gets better -- I think you know that. But it still hits you every year. And for me, it fills the heart with memories and love, all of which is always there, but it brings it up front.

Your mother was just lovely. I'm so glad you shared this. So very glad.