Monday, April 29, 2013

Grandma Hicks' favorite hymn

My dad's mother--my Grandma Hicks--loved to play her organ. My understanding is that she learned piano at a young age. I never have heard whether she had lessons or if she just picked it up on her own, just like my Grandma Mac, another fine musician. Anna Hicks' father, Fredric Roberts, was a fine fiddle player; I had the honor of inheriting his fiddle. Grandma often accompanied her father for town dances. When Grandma learned that I had started learning how to play violin, she quietly went to a closet and brought out the fiddle--then in great disrepair--to give to me. I remember my dad had tears in his eyes.We took the fiddle in for restoration and Dad, himself, fixed the case, using velvet in the interior from scraps my mother had from a dress she'd made me a few years before. I still treasure that fiddle, and have played it for many special occasions, including the funerals for Dad and most of his siblings.

In later years, Grandma Hicks told me it was much easier to play the organ over the piano--it didn't bother her joints as much, I expect.

On a recent visit to church, I was thumbing through one of the hymnals and learned that a favorite hymn of hers was in it! She often told me how much she loved "An Evening Prayer." I can still remember her playing that hymn, accompanying her then-soft singing of the words. I never tired of hearing her play and sing.

Doing some research, I learned a lot of people have covered this hymn: George Beverly Shea, Jim Reeves, Elvis Presley, among others. I found a lovely live recording of Glenn Bengtsson (of Sweden, I think; I don't know anything about him) singing it--I didn't post that one because the recording was made from a distance and doesn't sound clear. Here's a recording on YouTube of Marty Robbins singing this lovely hymn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAqUEjP6Lw4

Be sure to check out the Elvis recording of this, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Aus5xcrUU

And here are the lyrics of this heartfelt prayer--words and music by C. Maude Bat­ters­by. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of information on her, other than she wrote this circa 1880s:

If I have wounded any soul today,
If I have caused one foot to go astray,
If I have walked in my own willful way,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have uttered idle words or vain,
If I have turned aside from want or pain,
Lest I myself shall suffer through the strain,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have been perverse or hard, or cold,
If I have longed for shelter in Thy fold,
When Thou hast given me some fort to hold,
Dear Lord, forgive!

Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee;
Forgive the secret sins I do not see;
O guide me, love me and my keeper be,
Dear Lord, Amen.

Thank you, Grandma, for introducing this lovely hymn to me.

No comments: