Saturday, June 15, 2013

My Superman...

Man of Steel, the newest movie in the Superman genre, opened yesterday. And all day, I kept thinking about this photo.

And the ache continues. I love this photo, taken sometime last fall. I love any photos where he's looking at me with that look...because I know he IS looking at me, and maybe he's looking at me, still.

For those of you that think Clark Kent was really Superman, I hate to break the news to you...he wasn't. But people like Christopher Reeve...and my husband...were.

My ache comes in waves. I think--as usual--it's worst at night. Things that used to comfort me do not do the trick nearly as well anymore. I love the sound, for instance, of the rain on my roof. And even the thunderstorms were great, as long as I was inside and tucked safely in at night. Now, it just makes me feel lonelier. Having Elvis at my side (or more often, at my feet at night) helps a little, but it's just not the same. Elvis is a good little comforter, though, and listens to me as I talk to him at night--he may not come when I call a good share of the time, but he does listen when it's most important. Good boy.

The little area in the back is starting to be my favorite place to relax with Elvis and with perhaps a good book and a beverage. But sometimes, I just sit and listen to nature, if I don't have my Ipod playing. Today, I found an excellent deal on a little gazebo canopy. The backyard is pretty sheltered most of the time, but the sun tends to beat down on me a little too much for my light northern European skin in the afternoons, so this will be nice. I initially was going to get an umbrella, but will try this, instead. In the near future, I'll move my barbecue grill toward the back--either to the garage for easy pull-out or just in the backyard. Neighbors have been grilling and it smells so good, I just have to try it. It hasn't been used in about 2-3 years, so I'll have to do some cleaning before I use it, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I love listening to music during the day and into the evening, and my iPod is hardly out of reach. Today's soundtrack is the Atlanta Sacred Chorale, a group I just discovered accidentally while cruising the Internet. A really nice sound in just about everything they do, which ranges from spirituals, to early music, to 20th and 21st century composers. Earlier it was Beethoven...then it was Whitacre.

Today, I got my hair cut and highlighted, and that always relaxes me and makes me feel better. John always liked the way my stylist cut my hair. She does do a lovely job. And she's a good friend.

Tomorrow, my church has its annual outdoor service and picnic at a nearby park. A friend of mine and I are providing the music--my friend on guitar, me on my violin. Hoping my rusty fingers are up to it. I am feeling better and better about playing. We'll be playing some lovely and old chestnuts we've done before--the highlight for me will be Ashoken Farewell. If you are in this neck of the woods, you are more than welcome. It's at Patriarche Park in East Lansing and begins at 10 AM.

Afterward, a friend of mine from church and I will see the new movie on the big BIG screen (2D; I don't particularly care for 3D with only a few exceptions). Glad I won't be alone. But no matter what, that man on the screen won't be Superman. Not really. Having said that, I think I'll have a good time.

Tam

No comments: