Saturday, August 5, 2017

Saturday miscellaneous...


Today has been a busy day.

That's something. This cancer, and its treatment, really wiped me out, leaving me very little energy to do things I would usually be doing. Most recently, on Saturdays, I usually sleep in and hang out with my beagle, Elvis. I was very tired last night, and was asleep probably around 9pm...and then woke up around 8am. Took Elvis out, and then came back upstairs. And then...I had a 15 minute alert for a meeting I wanted to attend. I quickly got around and made it to the meeting...the monthly meeting for the First Ward of Lansing, run by our very capable and wonderful representative on the Lansing City Council, Jody Washington. 

My main interest in attending this meeting was to meet various candidates running for office in Tuesday's primary. But first, the meeting...and it was very interesting. And then and there, I decided I needed to take more active interest in the community I live in, a community I love so much, I paid off my house a year ago to stay. 

I had been following the news about Ormond Park with interest; even though it's not in my area of Lansing, as a resident of Lansing who cares about children and parks, it does effect me. And it actually had an effect on whom I voted for today for Tuesday's primary. 

For those of you that do not know about this controversy, here's some info:


Yes. You read correctly. I voted absentee today, because I wasn't sure I'd be able to get to the polls on Tuesday. Working starting at 6:30 am, then doctor's appointments. I'd be lucky to get to the polls by 7pm. So, upon learning there was a place open today on S. Washington St to do absentee, I decided to go over there after the meeting, since golly, I was already ON S. Washington for the meeting! So armed with new information from today's meeting (information that only solidified my choices), I voted!


Right now, I'm sitting and enjoying the afternoon at my new favorite hang-out, the Blue Owl Coffee Co. in REOTown, Lansing. REOTown is in the area where the old REO (RE Olds) plant used to be. The depot in REOTown, now owned by the Lansing Board of Water and Light and primary used for meetings (like the one I attended today), sits a block south of me, now. It happens to be the place my mom saw my dad off when he headed to basic training in 1944. 

Tonight, a friend gave me a ticket to see Footloose at the Tibbits Summer Theatre in Coldwater, MI. This is a wonderful old theatre in a town about an hour south of here. I've played my violin for many a show there; the last one was Fiddler on the Roof in 2013. I was, of course, the Fiddler. :) It was great to be able to do that at that time in my life. I was swimming in grief over my beloved's passing, and it kept me very busy meeting new friends, as well.

So, I need to wrap this up soon, as I have to head home and take care of things and get ready to drive to the show. 

Reminder, the primary is on Tuesday. If there's voting in your area, go. Primaries are important...just as important as the November elections. If you can't on Tuesday, check into absentee voting. 

Voting is your right and privilege and honor as a citizen of this country. Don't think they don't need you to vote. Get out there!

Talk to you soon...

Tam

No comments: