Sunday, May 29, 2016

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is thought to be a day to honor those who perished in battle. But I always honor all Veterans and active service members and their family on this day. 

This year, it's on May 30, which was, until the early 1970s, Memorial Day, regardless of the day of the week. May 30 was and is a special day in my life; it was the birthday of my mother. It's highly appropriate that May 30 is Memorial Day today, as this is the 90th anniversary of her birth. Happy birthday, Mama! I miss you!

I consider her a veteran, as well, because she was a military wife. Married to my father, a 33 year veteran of the Army Air Corps, Air Force, Air Reserve, and Air National Guard. 

And the three veterans of my immediate family: Mom, Dad, and my beloved husband, John, fought battles that they ultimately lost. No, none of them had seen military battle in their service (I don't think; the jury's out whether Dad did; we'll never know as he did a lot of top secret stuff especially during the Korean War).

My mom battled diabetes and congestive heart failure for many years. My dad had Parkison's disease for many years--diagnosed in 1984, but we think he had it a lot longer. I'll add my brother into this, as he battled diabetes for several years and pancreatic cancer for a month. And finally, my wonderful husband, who bravely battled a brain tumor for 14 months. 

So I honor those people in my life that fought battles both on and off the field. I thank them for their lives. I am the person I am because of them. 

As the song says, "Because I knew them, I have been changed for Good."

This wife, daughter, granddaughter niece, cousin, friend, and yes, sister of veterans thanks them all. 

No comments: