Sunday, July 19, 2015

I'm baaaaaaack.....

It's been awhile since I posted here, and I have a lot of 'splainin' to do. Or not.

Such is a life that gets busy during the week to the point that I'm too tired to do anything after the required activities of the day are done. Not much of an excuse, but I've been wanting to get back to this. I decided that there are way too many distractions to work on this at home, so this afternoon, I've  gone to my favorite cafe to do some writing. It's very good therapy, and I've missed it. Besides, the air conditioner I bought last summer isn't really working that well, and the upstairs (where I spend most of my time) is a little too uncomfortable right now. Don't worry; it's good where Elvis spends time while I'm away. I made sure of it.

Some of the highlights of the last few months: Really, not all that much. The only big things were the big move (not me--my brother and his family) and another trip to Italy (in June).

I really owe some posts on the two trips to Italy. And I will do that, once I've had a chance to go through my notes. The short version here: thanks to my music education, I've been able to take trips to Europe over the years. In 1976 and 1977, it was with the Blue Lake International Orchestra. On the first trip (which was, incidentally, my first-ever trip on a jet!), I went to Holland, West Germany (remember, this was before the wall came down), East Germany, France, and Switzerland. On the second trip, in 1977, I went to Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and briefly returned to West Germany. Then, in 2000, I went to Scotland with an early music singing group I was in--we were in Edinburgh, North Berwick, and Glasgow. More recently, the two trips to Italy with two separate choirs: Last summer, we went to Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento, and along the Amalfi Coast. This summer, we went to Florence, Pisa, Siena, and San Gimignano (with brief visits to the Paris airport--while landing, I could see the Eifel Tower!). No more trips out of the country (except for maybe Canada) for awhile. I need to save money. There's a hinted trip to Austria (I've never been there but have been close enough to see it from a distance) in about three years, so maybe I'll make that my saving goal.

I haven't been on my TerraTrike nearly enough this summer. Seems like every time I have a spare moment, the lawn mowing and yard work seems more urgent. That's what living in a city with fines for overgrown yards does to you.

My brother and his family have moved to a lovely lake not far from here. I really am interested in getting some sort of small craft that I can use by myself on the lake when the pontoon (which came with the property) isn't available. I'm looking at kayaks and peddle boats. I've even heard of a used peddle boat for sale, so I'll be checking that out soon. Anyway, the family has kindly agreed to allow me to store the craft at their house, so I wouldn't have to cart it to-and-fro. I'm even thinking of getting a fishing license to try my hand at fishing on the lake, which is chock-full of fish. Elvis loves it there, and stayed while I was out of the country. His favorite thing is to sit in the lawn chairs in the front of the house and watch all the activity on the lake. He looks like a person sitting there.

We've had a mild summer here...that is, until this weekend. Humidity has been very high the last three days, even though the actual temperature hasn't hit 90 yet here in the Lansing area.

Elvis is doing well. We had some issues at daycare. Initially, he loved it there. Played with all the various dogs--most particularly the labs and beagles--and was Mr Social Butterfly while there. I liked it, because it gave him a chance for socialization while I was at work (for one day a week). But in the last few months, he was getting less and less interested in the other dogs and more interested in worrying about when I was coming back. And my smart boy figured out how to open the room gate; the last day, he was the Pied Beagle, leading all the other dogs out of the medium dog room to run free in the building. Naughty, but it kinda makes me chuckle. So, I decided that if he wasn't having any fun at daycare, I might as well save the money. He's just as happy to hang out at the house and doesn't seem to worry about me leaving for work, because it's a daily routine. The only time he has a hissy is when he knows I'm outside the house...like when I'm taking the garbage out, or mowing the lawn. He wants to be right there. I was doing some yard work on Friday (last day before the humidity was coming, so I decided to take advantage of the comfy temps to do the work), and I let Elvis sit in the yard and watch me. And he was getting a little bored. Come on, Mama. I'm out here to play with you, not watch you chop the weeds! My brother informs me he doesn't like it when they do chores outside, either. Boring, he says.

Today marks the 2.5 year mark since I said goodbye to John. Seems so long ago, and yet, so recent. I paid for the flowers today in church in memory of his birthday, which is coming next Friday. For once, I didn't do the arranging, and I didn't order the flowers. I just decided to throw it up to the Universe to see what would happen. And as I sat down in church this morning, I gasped. In the middle of some very pastel and pretty flowers were three sunflowers: one of John's absolute favorite flowers! And they looked lovely in the arrangement (see the photo). I thanked my friend, Nell, for the arranging--she also did a lovely arrangement in the chapel, too.

I have taken next Friday off. I haven't decided what to do, but one thing is for sure: I don't want to be working during that day, which is the 57th anniversary of his birth. Thinking that one great option would be to go to a beach on Lake Michigan that allows dogs and just hang out with Elvis that day in that area. Not sure yet. I think it'll have to be a day trip, since hotels along the lake are very expensive this time of year.

I'm not doing much musically, other than those two trips to Italy. I may gently ease myself into something this fall; I haven't decided. I'm having trouble with my right hand these days, particularly in the pinky-region and into that side of the hand. I tripped on a  rug in our hotel in Florence (it was a convent in the 14th century, nice sturdy walls) and slammed my hand into one of the walls. Luckily, one of the hotel employees was right there to bring me some ice. No breaks or sprains, just a very bad bruise. But my hand is still achy, and that pinky area of the right hand is pretty critical for bow control. So this year, I took a break from the summer orchestra I play in. I'll go to their concert next week, I think. But it won't be the same as playing. Truthfully, I have to wonder if my playing days are numbered. Playing the violin is a great joy to me, but not when I'm in constant pain (the left thumb is really troublesome with the osteoarthritis, and the left hand is vital for playing the violin!). Years ago, I remember being really sad when I heard one of my violin teachers sold her violin...but now I understand. Not that I'm thinking of doing that, at the moment.

Work at MSU continues. I'm almost exactly 1.5 years from vesting for retirement. That doesn't mean I'll retire at that time, but it's nice to know I could if I wanted to. We'll see what the next few months bring.

Well, that's all for this post. I promise to make more time to post more.



No comments: